Fort Sedgwick - 1864 to 1871
FORT SEDGWICK - JUNE 1867
Fort Sedgwick was established just west of the original Julesburg. Its purpose was to guard the transcontinental trade and communications route. The post quickly grew from a couple of sod huts to a full-blown military installation before fading into oblivion a short seven years later. At its peak, nearly 1,000 soldiers were stationed here.

The story of Fort Sedgwick is a saga of fraud and corruption, bravery and daring-do, shotgun weddings and French leave, triumph and tragedy, all at a post where the quarters, if any, were considered unlivable, the food was terrible, pleasures were few and the nearest bath was the South Platte River.
FORT SEDGWICK OFFICERS QUARTERS
ftsedgwick000.jpg
ftsedgwick001.jpg ftsedgwick002.jpg
ftsedgwick003.jpg